How to report Chinese drywall claims

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the overarching body responsible for product reliability and keeping dangerous products out of the country, is the governmental source to make claims to regarding Chinese drywall. While the CPSC has not been able to find a definitive way in which home or property owners can know if their drywall is the same faulty product imported by China, there are several telltale signs. Physical symptoms of exposure to Chinese drywall include:

  • itchy eyes
  • respiratory problems
  • rotten-egg smell
  • Physical signs of Chinese drywall in the home include

  • corrosion of metal pipes and wiring
  • possible limits to structure integrity
  • The commission is currently investigating the claims and is looking into what direct health symptoms can be attributed to the faulty wallboard, the possible damage it can cause to metal and the risk of fire hazard and to record and report how the product got into homes and businesses and where it comes from.

    If you encounter any of these health problems or believe you have Chinese drywall in your home, the government recommends scheduling an appointment with your doctor. Consult your builder or contractor to find out what supplies were used. To register a complaint with the commission, go to or call them at 1-800-638-2772.

    Contact Information