Toxic fumes linger even after Chinese drywall is removed

In an article from Florida, homeowners are complaining that even when the Chinese drywall that was so toxic and harmful to their home and goods is removed, the smell and damaging fumes remain. Even after the faulty wallboard is taken out of the home, people are complaining that wires, coils and others materials are corroding and the sulfuric smell can still be found.

This is obviously a big problem as it means that either homes will have to be vacated for extended periods of time to allow the dissipation of the gas or that a new process will be necessary for removal that may end up being much more costly. In the end, the homeowner loses even more regardless.

WINK reports about one couple who, expecting a baby in the coming months, have had their world turned upside down by this tumultuous issue:

“We were really excited, then we found out we had a baby on the way, then even more excited,” Waegenere said. “We spent two months painting his room, and well, then we found out we had this drywall issue.”

So, the obvious thing to do was rip it out, and begin installing new wiring to replace the wiring that had corroded.

Four days later, that new copper was turning black.

A building inspector said even though the drywall was gone, the leftover sulfur fumes were still contaminating everything else in their home.

“You can almost think about it like second hand smoke,” said Anthony Gimenez, owner of Professional Building Inspectors Services, Inc. “Once the smoker leaves the room, someone can walk into the room and still smell smoke, and the reason that is, is because that smoke has cross contaminated other components in the home.”

More information will be posted as it becomes available, as always, on the Chinese drywall section of this blog.

Contact Information